Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ups & Downs


A month ago I left on this adventure. I’d been wishing and hoping and planning for so long that when it finally happened I ran full tilt on adrenaline. But life has a way of slowing you down. Living at a lightstation is kind of like living at the cottage with all it’s amazing scenery and wildlife, seclusion from the rush of the world, and time to ponder and create. It also has its down sides. Since coming here I’ve been fighting a battle with cottage mustiness to which I am allergic, and I seem to be winning. The upstairs living area is habitable now, as I open up all the doors and windows all day long to let in the sun and sea air. I’ve disposed of several moldy culprits and washed down the place with vinegar. Also, a dehumidifier and air cleaner is on its way. Score one for the lightkeeper.

My legs, particularly my ankles, have been well munched by nasty demon flies that relish the fact that I’ve been wearing shorts and sandals in this glorious sunshine.The calamine lotion in our first aid kit did nothing but my lavender essential oil did the trick. Score two for the lightkeeper. 

Finally, I strained my mid-back yesterday (thoracic, I believe it is). It started the previous day when I went exploring and kind of slid on the dry grass bumping and bruising my ribs along the way. I had something of a stiff back but it was not a problem. Then yesterday I picked up a large piece of plywood and OUCH--it literally took my breath away. Now, we are separated from the rest of the world by 25 km of nasty gravel road and trees on one side and sea on the other, but within an hour, a couple emerged from the dock and wandered up to chat. I’d gone to tell Geoff that I was injured, rather badly--I felt like I’d been skewered through the chest. Turns out, Brian and Darcy, are boating in their floating A-frame cottage, and it turns out, that Darcy has been a nurse for thirty years and is now a nursing educator on the coast. Thank you Universe! She explained that my back muscles were likely grasping and pinching a nerve, and told me to make an ice pack and apply it for 15 minutes every hour. An ice pack was simple to make by wetting a towel and freezing it in a plastic bag on a cookie sheet. RMTs, this worked amazingly well, as it molded to my back. So between ice packs and my heating pad, tylenol, and rest, I am much improved; at least, the skewer has lessened (though I know if I lift anything it will reappear). 

The universe has a way of slowing us down. Today is a day for pondering the shapes in the clouds, the shades of smokey mountain curves, and the ripples in the sea. Score three for the lightkeeper.





No comments:

Rosa Nutkana

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet," says Juliet when she hears that Romeo is a dreaded Montague. But many roses do no...